Welcome! We look forward to having your group visit The Wittliff Collections. In the interest of cultivating the museum goers of tomorrow, we are committed to providing students of all ages a satisfying experience viewing our art and exhibits. We also hope to offer young visitors guidance on how to conduct themselves in a museum environment — to help them feel comfortable and informed, and to get the most from their tour.
Please provide adequate supervision. Make sure your group has one adult chaperone for every 15 students, especially for younger groups. If you would like a guided tour, please go to Group Visits (above) and submit a Wittliff Tour Request Form. Note that special arrangements are necessary for groups of more than 25. Please call our Tour Coordinator, Lyda Guz, at 512.245.2907 in advance of your visit.
For a successful visit, please review the following with your group before arrival:
- Look, don’t touch. Our mission is to preserve our objects for future generations to enjoy, and touching runs the risk of breaking them or damaging them with the natural oils on your skin. Walk mindfully through the exhibitions. Be careful not to bump the photographs or other art objects, and avoid touching the glass display cases.
- Discard food and drinks at the door. Food and drinks can damage art, books, and materials. They should not be brought into our exhibition spaces.
- Use your “library voice.” The Wittliff Collections are quiet places of study, contemplation, and research, and although we appreciate enthusiastic responses to the exhibitions, we ask visitors to keep their voices low.
- Practice courteous cell-phone use. Cell phones disrupt other visitors, students, and researchers. Please set phones to vibrate while in the library. If you must make or take a call, ask a staff member for direction on the best place to do so.
- No flash photography. Flash photography damages light-sensitive materials. Photographs are permitted for personal use only, and may not be published, sold or reproduced in any manner. Please do not use flash!
- Ask questions. See something in an exhibition you would like to know more about? Curious about what else we do or have here at The Wittliff? Ask a staff member, or email us after your visit.
- Consider making a donation. Unlike most museums, we do not charge admission, so every dollar in the donation box is important in supporting our exhibitions and publications. Your contribution is appreciated, no matter how small.
- Tell us what you think. We’re very interested in the comments of our visitors. Please send your thoughts in an email to email@example.com after your visit.
- Spread the word. If you enjoyed your visit to The Wittliff, please tell your friends! Word of mouth is our best advertisement, and we’re always grateful when someone new discovers us.
Thank you! Please come back and visit us again.
The Wittliff Collections
Albert B. Alkek Library
Texas State University