Mon-Fri: 8:30am - 4:30pm
Sat: 11:00am - 4:30pm
Sun: 12:00pm - 4:30pm
Research Hours: 9-4:30 M-F. In response to COVID-19, The Wittliff Collections reading room is open at reduced capacity and by appointment only. Requests from Texas State students and faculty will be prioritized over all others. Remote reference service remains available.
The Wittliff is located on the seventh floor of the Albert B. Alkek Library on the campus of Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas.
For assistance, or for mobility impaired/accessible parking, please call The Wittliff at 512.245.2313.
There are several parking options depending on when you’re visiting:
Weekday parking, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Limited free parking is available in the Alkek Garage located at the end of Talbot street (see map - you may have to zoom in). The parking attendant will guide you to a spot.
The Alkek Garage is free and open to the public on weekends. If the garage is full, additional parking is available in Woods Garage (see map - you may have to zoom in).
After you park, follow the signs and walk up the ramp to the Albert B. Alkek Library. Go into the library and take the elevator to the seventh floor.
1. Take I-35 and exit 206 (Aquarena Springs / TX-82 Loop)
2. Turn West on Aquarena Springs, continuing straight past the stadium and on the overpass
3. At San Marcos River, stay straight on Aquarena Springs, which curves left and becomes University Drive
4. At the split, follow the road to the right and continue on University Drive
5. Turn right onto N. Guadalupe Street
6. At three-way stop, turn left onto Woods Street
7. Take the first right onto Talbot St. and proceed one block to the stop sign.
8. At the stop sign, turn right and proceed approximately 100 ft.
9. Take a left to enter Alkek Garage. Stay to the right of the guard booth to enter.
10. Tell the guard at the booth that you're here to visit The Wittliff. The guard will direct you to one of our reserved spots.
After you park, follow the signs and walk up the long ramp to Alkek Library. The library entrance will be on the left. Take the elevator to the seventh floor.
If you have questions, University Parking Services are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 512.245.2887.
View the campus map for a detailed view of streets, garages, and buildings.
If you are interested in a guided tour of The Wittliff Collections, please submit a Wittliff Tour Request Form. Guided tours are free and generally last 1 hour. Groups larger than 25 will be divided to assure everyone can hear the tour guide and fit into each gallery without over-crowding.
Please contact our Tour Coordinator, Lyda Guz, at LydaGuz@txstate.edu or 512.245.2907 with any questions.
For school groups, please read our Visitor Guidelines (K-12) below.
We encourage you to bring young visitors to The Wittliff Collections. If your group is larger than 15 people, please schedule in advance with our Tour Coordinator, by filling out our Wittliff Tour Request Form.
Please go over our Behavior Guidelines with your group before you arrive at The Wittliff. These guidelines will help everyone know what to expect here while keeping people and archives comfortable.
Keep in mind that as part of a college-level educational institution, we do not censor the work in our exhibitions — some materials may be challenging to younger visitors. If you have any concern about the appropriateness of our exhibitions for your group, please contact our Tour Coordinator, Lyda Guz, at LydaGuz@txstate.edu or 512.245.2907.
If you require accommodations due to a disability in order to participate, please contact 512.245.2313 or email@example.com at least 72 hours in advance of the event.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus.
To research at The Wittliff Collections please make an appointment.