Welcome to The Wittliff Collections at the Albert B. Alkek Library on the campus of Texas State University.
The Wittliff Collections staff is responsible for safeguarding and preserving for posterity the rare and unique materials in the collections. Please help care for these materials and ensure their future availability by abiding by the following rules.
- Space is limited. In order to guarantee a spot in the reading room on the date you wish to visit, please make a research appointment in advance by calling 512.245.2313.
- All patrons must read and complete a Patron Information form. Use page two of that form (the Materials Request form) to request boxes and/or books you wish to see.
- Patrons must provide valid photo identification, to be held by staff as security while collection material is being used.
- All bags, briefcases, coats, hats, and purses must be checked in with a staff member before materials may be used. Laptop computers are permitted in the reading room. Notepaper and pencils are provided. Personal electronic devices such as mobile phones, and other personal research materials, such as books, notes, and notebooks may not be used in the reading room. All personal items are subject to search by a reading room attendant.
- Handle items with care. Keep items flat on the table at all times. Handle items by their edges as much as possible, giving them appropriate support so as not to bend them unnecessarily. Ask for assistance if it is necessary to remove any item from its protective housing.
- Use pencil only. No marks are to be added to or erased from collection material, including the folders in which items are housed. Never write on paper with collection material underneath, as it may leave an impression and damage the material.
- Do not disturb the order of the archives. Keep items in the order in which you found them; return folders within boxes in the correct order; and most importantly, maintain the order of items within each folder. Report any apparent discrepancies or problems to a staff member immediately.
- No smoking, food, or drinks are allowed.
- The use of personal scanners or cameras is not permitted without permission from an archivist or curator on our staff. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Check out with the reading room attendant when you have completed your research. Be sure to retrieve your photo ID.
- All patrons must adhere to U.S. Copyright law. See our Duplication and Publication Policy for more information.
Thank you very much for your cooperation.
Please ask any staff member if you have further questions.